As someone who lives much of her inner life in the past, I am enjoying this year’s theme of Hindsight and I hope you are too! One awesome perk of this year’s theme is reconnecting with past clients and catching up on their lives!
Recently, we were blessed to speak with James and Amelia Ireland, a couple I remember vividly because of Amelia’s interaction with our site prior to meeting them in person. They also made a terrific impression on us simply due to the depth of research and preparation which went into their pre-engaged and engaged seasons. If there was a book on marriage, Amelia probably read it! I admire that and wish I was as disciplined!
Two and a half years after working with us, they are married and living in sunny California. James recently began a fantastic new job and they are expecting their first sweet baby in just a few weeks! We are so happy for them and excited to see their lives unfold.
We enjoyed catching up with James and Amelia and hope their interview is a blessing to you as you prepare for your future marriage!!!
Highlights from the Interview:
- It is okay if you figure out that your boyfriend is about to propose. ~smile~ (I knew too, Amelia!)
- Online pre-engagement services were helpful for them because:
- They were in a long-distance relationship and face-to-face office visits were not feasible.
- They believe the coaching received from us was deeper than what they probably would have received from an officiating pastor.
- In addition to seeking pre-engagement and/or premarital counseling, it is wise to prepare for marriage in other ways. Outside of working with us, Amelia chose to:
- Listen to podcasts
- Read a good number of relationship books
- Follow relationship blogs
- Talk to married friends about their experiences
- Talk to church family and ask them how they prepared for marriage and what their lives were like after marriage.
- Observing others’ relationships
- Having a similar level of ambition is helpful. A highly goal-oriented person is less likely to be satisfied with a low energy, non-goal-oriented spouse.
- They attribute the success of their relationship to Jesus, and to the fact that they committed to be committed from the beginning.
- Deciding to be committed is half the battle.
- “You put in as much personal effort as you can, and you trust God with the rest.” – James
- Even small similarities can help foster a bond in marriage. Watching Star Trek together counts! ~smile~
- The principles found in Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerich continue to inspire them.
- “Before getting married, ask yourselves why. Why do I want to get married?” – Amelia
- Are you desperate?
- Are your friends getting married and you don’t want to be left out?
- Do you have realistic expectations?
- Are you looking forward to what you will get out of the marriage or what you will bring to the marriage?
- They knew they were “the one” for each other because… (answer is in the video ~wink~).
Check out the full interview!!!