It is Rain Day! I am not sure why this holiday is not celebrated in April; but, it is still a great day to observe. How is the weather in your neighborhood? If it is raining, it should be easy to enjoy some of the ideas below. If not, you can download a rain-sounding app (for the iPhone and iPad, we like Rain, Rain Sleep Sounds – it is awesome!), you can run through the sprinkler in your backyard, or you can plan to celebrate on the next rainy day!
Rain can ruin our plans or open up a whole new set of possibilities. Here are a few rainy day activities I think you may enjoy!
- Mud Puddles! When I was fourteen, I went mudding on my bike. My boyfriend had just broken up with me the day before and I needed to release some emotions. I allowed myself to get completely covered in mud – and it was awesome. Maybe you want to try mudding on your bike (hopefully under more joyous circumstances), mudding in your vehicle, or simply splashing around with your dog in the front yard. I think mud therapy can go a long way!
- Open windows and smell the breeze. If you are experiencing a warm summer, you probably have not spent much time in front of an open window; but, if you have a rain storm come your way, take advantage of its cooling presence and enjoy some time in front of an open window. Take in the breeze. Take deep breaths. Don’t you love how a rainy day smells? Drink it in!
- Read together in front of an open window. While you’re enjoying the breeze, curl up and read in front of the window. Something about a heavy rain makes me want to nap and read! If you are hanging out with your sweetie, read aloud to him or her as you both enjoy the storm.
- Go visit a retirement home and brighten up someone(s) day. One of the best ways to brighten your day is to brighten someone else’s day. When you are lonely, everyday can feel like a rainy day. Take your sweetie, fill some gift baskets, and make some new friends at your local rest home. The director or social worker on staff will probably be happy to direct you to some people who would love the company. And, you may just hear some amazing stories from them! Many older folks love to talk about their lives and appreciate young people who take an interest. In a culture that glorifies youth, many older persons feel forgotten or as though they have nothing to offer the younger generations. Remind them that they are still valuable and drink in their wisdom!
- Watch a beach movie. In college, my dorm mates and I would always watch the same beach movie on snow days. It was a way to enjoy the day inside and to remind us that warm days were coming! Maybe you can create a beach movie watching list for some of those rained out beach days!
- Go for a run/walk! When Eric used to run, he always appreciated the misty days. Running or walking in the rain can be exhilarating! Use common sense and come in out of the thunderstorm; but, if it is only a light rain, enjoy a refreshing walk or run!
- Dance! Look like a fool and dance with your sweetie in the rain. Who cares how you look? Make memories!
- Play football/soccer! Pick your favorite sport and go outside and play. Rain can stop your fun or make your sport even more epic!
- Bake! Heavy rain plus the smell of baked goods equals paradise. If you need an excuse to bake cookies or a cake, I think you have one! Enjoy the fruits of your labor in front of the open window. The smell of rain (and cookies) is a gift from Heaven!
- Rainy day photo shoot! We love to post pictures of us enjoying sunny weather. Why not take some muddy pics too? I am no photographer, but there has to be a way to take photos in the rain without harming your camera, right? Once you figure out how, go out in the rain and have a goofy, zany, impromptu photo shoot.
- Buy some old clothes at Goodwill and get them muddy!!! Do not want to destroy your wardrobe? Buy some old clothes you care nothing about and trash them!
- Plan your next sunny day! After you have had your fun in the rain, start preparing for the next gorgeous day you will spend with your honey. How will you spend it? At the lake? At the beach? In an air conditioned restaurant? To each his or her own!
The sun is shining as I am writing this; but, writing this post made me long for a heavy, summer rain. When it comes, I’ll be ready!
How will you celebrate Rain Day with your sweetie?