As I’m writing this, the weather today is absolutely gorgeous! I am actually attempting to write outside, which almost never happens. ~smile~ It has to be unusually beautiful for me to go to the trouble of moving all my technological necessities outside. It is about seventy-five degrees, the sky is blue, and spring is in the air!
For those of you who live in tropical areas, this winter probably did not seem too unbearable. And for those of you who live in artic conditions several months out of the year, this winter probably felt normal (and you may wish people like me would stop fussing about the cold and our two snowfalls ~smile~). As wimpy as I may sound, these past few months have been gray, cold, and lonely. Spring, I welcome you with open arms!
What Do You Love about Spring?
What do you love about springtime? What does your sweetie love about it? When I think about the spring months, I think about new life. New animals are being born, a new sense of hope swirls around us, and everything is green and colorful. The sadness is over and newness of life is upon us!
Like other short-lived, happy times, I don’t think I appreciate Spring enough when it comes. In central Virginia, we often have a few weeks, if we are lucky, of beautiful weather before the pleasant warmth changes to unpleasant heat! So now, while it is absolutely gorgeous, I hope I will enjoy it to the fullest instead of regretting all the time I could have spent reveling in it!
Don’t Waste the Beauty!
So, if it’s warm where you are like it is here, it sounds like it is time to get a caramel frappuccino from Starbucks, go to a park, and sit on a bench with your sweetie. Talk about all the activities you want to enjoy this Spring. Where do you want to go? What do you want to experience? How much are you willing to spend and how far are you willing to go? Make a plan and, even if you only spend five dollars, do something meaningful with this time.
Some of you do not need this nudge. ~smile~ Others of you probably focus on work regardless of the season – or you live to be indoors. For those of you that have a hard time stopping to smell the roses, I am playfully challenging you to make this season different. You don’t have to spend every waking hour outside, but think of activities you like, or at least don’t mind, and go out and enjoy them while the weather is heavenly.
Five Spring Connection Activities to Try!
- Start an exercise challenge and cheer your sweetie on (and vice versa). You can commit to walking together, going to the park and jogging or bicycling along a trail, or you can take up tennis or Ultimate Frisbee. Do a physical activity you enjoy together, get some vitamin D, and improve your physical and mental health at the same time! You will be connecting with each other as you play!
- Do yard work together, plant a garden, or plant flowers. If you hate yard work, you can skip this one. Maybe playing in the sprinklers or soaking your feet in a wading pool while enjoying a good book together would be more your speed. ~smile~ However, if you enjoy beautifying your space, get outside and tackle an outdoor team project. If neither of you have your own land, see if there is an elderly couple or widow in your church or community that could use some help. If you cannot find someone who desires such skills, feel free make your way to Virginia. ~wink~
- Take a blanket, picnic dinner, and books to the park and enjoy soaking in the sun. Wear sunblock, of course. ~smile~ Allow yourself to relax and take in the fresh air and sounds of nature. Reading outside is so nice as long as the sun is not in your face. If you aren’t readers, plan some games instead.
- Grill outside with friends. Whether it’s at your house, or at a local park that provides grills and picnic tables, have a “Welcome Springtime” extravaganza with as few or as many friends as you would like. Grill burgers, have corn on the cob, and ask everyone to bring a side dish and fun dessert. When I smell other people grilling, I want to slip over and join the party. Yum!
- Take a drive, find beautifully blooming trees, and take pictures. Since springtime weather does not stick around very long, preserve your memories with photos! Roll down the windows, feel the warmth on your faces, find gorgeous spots, and hop out of the car for some photo opportunities. Explore new places together. If you have never hiked, consider trying a few easy hikes (perhaps with seasoned hikers) and locate streams, trees, and (my personal favorite) waterfalls you did not know existed! Let Spring bring out your adventurous side.
These are just a few suggestions. There is so much you can do when the weather allows. If it is not too cold and not too hot, possibilities are endless. So, wave goodbye to the cold and connect with your sweetie and friends in the warmth and beauty of springtime!
How will you connect with your sweetie during these gorgeous spring days?