We can suffer through it, stay cooped up in our homes, or we can have fun anyway! (I vote fun!)
Here are a few ideas for beating the heat this weekend!
- Create some new smoothie recipes! Not only do delicious smoothies hit the spot on a warm day, but they are nutritious! Milkshakes are super tasty, but they do not leave us energized and ready to tackle life. If I recall, the last few milkshakes I had made me feel worn down and tired. Create at least ten smoothie creations and sneak in some greens and carrots. Sweet fruits cover a multitude of veggies. Cool off and do your body a favor!
- Visit your local swimmin’ hole. We are several hours from the ocean, but we are relatively close to a few lakes. If we are desperate for a little swim, we can hop in the car and take a short drive. And, if we are not in the mood for sand beneath our toes, we can always join a pool! In the winter months, nothing sounds better than a hot day and a cool swim. Take advantage of the season while it is here!
- You are never too old for a water gun fight. The last time I was pelted by water guns, I was dressed for work. My boss’s kids were playing outside and got mischievous looks on their faces when I walked into the backyard. The phrase “Do Not Get Me Wet!” might as well have been, “Please, please, please drench me with your super soakers!” I was an easy target. When you are dressed appropriately and not running out the door to work, water gun fights can be a blast. Make a game out of it!
- Dance in the rain. Recently, we had one of the best downpours we have seen in a while. I was enjoying a nap and woke to the sound of a deluge. It was accompanied by thunder, so I would not have been wise to run outside and play in it; but, later in the evening, we had more showers devoid of any dangerous lightning. When you encounter a soothing rainstorm this summer, put on some old clothes and enjoy it. Play football or soccer. Go for a run together. Playing in the rain is good for the soul.
- Come inside. During the baking heat of summer, there are many indoor choices for fun – even for outdoor people. An indoor rock climbing wall, a year-round ice rink, or a good ol’ movie are all excellent choices to beat the heat. Art exhibits, bowling, window shopping, and hundreds of other air conditioned options await you indoors. I am enjoying the cool breeze from my vent as we speak.
- Dip your toes and read. I love to fill Ramsey’s kiddie pool with water and read a book while giving my feet a refreshing soak. Ramsey stays in her pool about ten seconds before she jumps out and rolls in the grass, but I still use her as an excuse to cool off, enjoy the outdoors, and get in a little reading. Find some books, park your chairs close to some cool water, and enjoy some quiet reading time together.
- Have a water balloon party with friends! Cook out or order pizza, have some cold drinks ready, and declare a full-scale water balloon war on your friends. No matter how refined we appear, we all have an inner child yearning to get out and play. Give in this time and throw some water bombs! Whether you create a game with rules or have a complete free-for-all, get in touch with your long lost ten-year-old self and de-stress with your friends.
The list goes on and on if you are creative! It is easier for me to write about all these possibilities than to jump outside and enjoy them; but, when I do decide to have some summer fun, I am almost always glad I did! Do something different, laugh hysterically, and make some memories before summer is gone!
What is your favorite way to cool off during scorching summer days?