“Christmastime is here! Happiness and cheer! Fun for all that children call their favorite time of year!” Merry Christmas! It’s almost here! Just a few more days before you will be tearing into those gifts, sipping hot chocolate, and making special memories. And, hopefully, you are already making memories!
Did your sweetie get to come home with you for Christmas this year? Are you with his or her family? Are you both from the same town? However you are spending Christmas, I hope you are together – whether in person, or by some form of technology. Try to connect no matter how far apart you are!
For those of you who are fortunate enough to spend Christmas with your sweetheart, consider the following Christmas connection activities! Will you try at least one this year?
- Ring the Salvation Army Bell Together! This may be short notice since Christmas is just days away, but if there is still an open spot, jump out there and ring the bell together. Smile, laugh, remind people of the joy of the holidays, and jump around to keep warm!
- Master Some of Your Favorite Holiday Dishes Together! What smells make you think of Christmas? What savory and sweet treats do you simply have to have at Christmastime? Do you know how to make or bake them? If not, jump in the kitchen with your Mom, Aunt, Grandma, or whoever does the cooking in your home, and learn to make your favorites. If you can master the art of cooking together without fighting, you are in good shape! Connect while getting up to your elbows in dough! And, if a food fight breaks out, enjoy and clean it up. ~smile~
- Take Some of Your Fresh Baked Goodies to Friends and Neighbors! Be an early Santa and Mrs. Claus team. Spread some good cheer around the neighborhood, along with some yummy sweets! Some people are completely alone at Christmastime, or spend much of it grieving the loss of a loved one. Offer some smiles and company to those around you. You may never know what your small gesture will mean to them!
- Go to a Local Retirement Home or Orphanage (if there is one nearby) and Pass Out Christmas Gifts. This one will take some planning, so if you cannot do it this year, consider doing it next year. ~smile~ There is nothing in this world like seeing faces light up at Christmas. Giving is so much more fun than receiving!
- Ring Door Bells and Run! ~smile~ This is an old favorite, but it is especially fun when you drop off an anonymous gift and run. ~smile~ (I’m not suggesting you do it as a prank! lol)
- Set Up a Table with Some Free Goodies and Use the Opportunity to Talk to Others about Christ. There is power in numbers. Tasks which sound terrifying are easier with a partner! Whether you hand out coffee and baked goodies with a message of hope attached to them, or give out non-edible items (e.g., blankets, gloves, ornaments, etc.), make the most of the opportunity to share Christ’s love at Christmas!
- Make Each other Something Memorable for Christmas. Get out some craft materials and make each other an ornament, paint a painting, or decorate a t-shirt. Whatever you do, do it with a smile on your face and love in your heart. Sometimes homemade gifts are the best! You don’t have to wait until Christmas morning. You can present your treasures as soon as you finish creating them!
- Take Your Sweetie Around to All the Places You Love – If you are in your hometown, or you share a hometown, take your sweetie to all of your special spots. Let him or her know why each area holds a special place in your heart. This will give him or her a greater glimpse into the real you!
I hope you and your sweetie thoroughly enjoy your Christmas festivities this year. Whenever you get the chance, use your time together to bring joy to someone else! Two smiles are better than one!
How will you connect with your sweetie this Christmas?