Do you ever battle with the worst version of yourself? Sometimes I can feel my inner-monster growing and looking around at all that is wrong with the world.
There are days when I feel nothing but peace, joy, and a desire to see others succeed. But, on other days the green-eyed monster jumps out at me. “It is not fair, is it? Look at all those girls in their 20s. They all have two or three kids apiece, and look at you – childless! Look at them! They are living in a mansion, and you know their mom and dad helped them pay for it. There is no way they have that kind of money.”
As much as we want to deny these occasional, unflattering thoughts, there are days when our hearts are heavy and the world does not seem fair.
There was a habit I tried to start years ago at Eric’s prompting. Though I fell away from it, I should pick it up again and I would encourage you to do the same. Before Eric’s mom passed away, she wrote five blessings she was thankful for in a journal every day. She shared her secret with a young girl who befriended her and gave her a journal as well. Years later, Eric went to dinner with this now-woman and she commented on how life-changing the journal had been for her.
So, Eric bought a journal for me and I started with good intentions; but, like many other things in my life, I let it taper off. It is still on my bookshelf! I can see it from here!
When we fail to remind ourselves of all the ways we are blessed, our mind fills the space with envious, unseemly thoughts. And, even though we are nowhere near Thanksgiving yet, I think it is a good idea to take a moment and think about how blessed we are.
I will go first – and I hope you will join me. ~smile~
Some of My Blessings Include:
- The biggest blessing in my life is my salvation. I could never repay God for His goodness.
- I am thankful for my husband. He does not always see eye-to-eye with me, but he brings a lot of joy and comfort to my life – not to mention laughs and support.
- I am thankful for my parents and that they are still together after 42 years of marriage. I appreciate having them as role models.
- I am thankful to have come from a Christian home and I am thankful for the tremendous church family I had growing up.
- I am thankful for the church family I have now!
- I am thankful for supportive friends who are always there to lend an ear and a shoulder.
- I am thankful for the opportunity to help couples prepare to have tremendous marriages.
- I am thankful for how easy it is to get groceries.
- I am thankful for my dentist (even though I hate dental visits). ~smile~
- I am thankful for the ability to clean my home and the products that help me with that. I may not enjoy cleaning, but I am thankful I can.
- I am thankful for my home and that it has air conditioning and heat.
- I am thankful for pizza which has been and probably always will be my favorite food.
- I am thankful for FaceTime and the ability to see my loved ones when I am far away from them.
… just to name a few!
A Challenge for You and Me
I wonder what a difference it would make in our lives if we took a little time each morning to jot down a handful of blessings we are thankful for, no matter how random. Are you going to take the challenge? Over the next month, exchange morning texts with your sweetie. Write three blessings you are thankful for and send your lists to each other. This way you will have accountability, you will start your day with thanksgiving, and it will give you and your special someone a mini-project to do together – win-win-win!
Get ready to feel a lot better about your life! ~smile~
What are five blessings you are thankful for right now?