If you are anything like me, you enjoy talking about getting in shape; but, you have a hard time actually picking up the weights and putting on the running shoes. Each year, I have great intentions, but then the rubber meets the road and I discover just how little motivation I have for causing my body great pain. ~smile~
But, like any other journey in life, getting healthy is not something that happens overnight. It is a process that starts with a single step – in this case, quite literally.
What makes changing to a healthy lifestyle less challenging? Companionship! When someone is “suffering” right along with you, suddenly the journey does not seem so lonely or impossible. After you and your sweetie are a mile into your health and fitness journey, it won’t seem so difficult any more. In fact, you both may even look forward to your healthy meals and workout times!
- Start with a Single Date. Get yourselves in gear by devoting one date this week to health and wellness. If you’d like, you can make it an all-day affair!
- Cock-a-doodle-do! Rise, shine, and head to the farmer’s market. Start your date off right by making an early trip to the farmer’s market. Buy locally grown produce and enjoy perusing other unique items.
- Take your purchases to one of your homes, then head out for a jog, bike ride, or swim! After you drop your goodies off at home, put on your running shoes, hop on your bikes, or head to a local pool for a good swim. You could also kayak, hike, or find a rock climbing wall (or climb an actual mountain – if you know what you’re doing, of course). Find some heart-pumping activity and give it a go!
- Come back and create a tasty, healthy meal with your new found ingredients. You are probably hungry by now! So, head to one of your places and cook a healthy meal together.Make sure your meal is balanced with veggies, complex carbs, proteins, and fats.
- After you fuel up, digest, and then pick another activity to enjoy for the afternoon. Maybe now is a good time to jump in the water (depending on the season), or perhaps you feel a one-on-one basketball game coming on? Whatever you choose, enjoy another calorie burning activity before dinner!
- Go to your homes, shower, and then meet again for dinner. Most restaurants have some healthy choices. Make it your goal to have a super tasty, guilt-free dinner!
- Finish out the day with a leisurely stroll. After your stroll, enjoy some fruit for dessert, sit under the stars, and discuss how you can make days like today a regular part of your relationship.
I know this sounds like a lot of activity; but, if you take it slow and don’t overdo it in the beginning, I think you can both enjoy pushing yourselves a little more each week! If you and your sweetheart can find several healthy activities to enjoy together, you can take those hobbies into marriage; then, instead of trying to create healthy habits later, you can simply continue what you’ve already started.
Physical activity and quality foods are essential to a person’s continued well-being. If you take your health seriously now, hopefully you will have far fewer medical bills in the long run. Think about how you want your future children to eat and live, and start living that way yourselves! They will learn by your example!
What physical activities and healthy meals can you and your sweetie incorporate into your dates?