Our central Virginia winter was a cold one this year! Even colder than last year’s! Thankfully, Spring is upon us. Even if we still have a few chilly days, we can basically kiss Winter goodbye and look forward to the beauty of Spring and Summer.
I’m sure once the July heat hits us, I’ll miss cozy snow days; but, for now, I’m happy to dream of the beach and take long, pleasant walks! As we welcome Spring, here are ten experiences we can seek out and check off our lists this year.
Here’s to enjoying life with our sweeties and basking in the beauty of God’s creation! Spring is here! The wait is over!
- Hike in a new location! We all have new countryside to explore. Even Lewis and Clark didn’t discover every last stretch of land. Put on your hiking boots and uncover some new trails with your sweetie. Be wise, safe, and let others know your general location in case there is an emergency.
- Rest in front of the water! Lakes, rivers, oceans, large mud puddles – find some water, set up a beach chair, and relax with a book or some good conversation! Soak in the warmth and the tranquility your surroundings!
- Plant some beautiful flowers! If you have land, clear out a spot for some flowers. Pick out a few different kinds and spend the cool of the day planting them together. If you live in an apartment, get flower boxes which you can enjoy! Flowers brighten up any yard and any room, and watering them is a daily metaphoric reminder. As you tend to your flowers, think of ways you can water and weed your relationship. ~smile~
- Visit a local farm and see the animal babies! Springtime brings new life into the world. Farms are abuzz with animal babies! Visit a local farm and marvel at the newness of life.
- Begin a walking group! I enjoy a good walk, but the hardest part for me is putting on my socks and shoes. Once I’m outside, I enjoy it! If you make walking a social event, you are more likely to stick to it! Find a group of friends who would like to pound the pavement with you and create a walking group!
- Plan at least two day trips to a new place! It’s sunny, it’s temperate, and it’s time to explore. There are at least a dozen areas within an hour of myself which I’ve never seen. Bright and cheery Spring days were built for short road trips. Pack a picnic lunch and find a random new spot to enjoy it!
- Find at least one waterfall somewhere! This is on my personal list for this year – find a waterfall, hike to it, and soak in the experience! I love the beauty of free-falling water. Such gorgeous spots help us put our lives into perspective. Why do we allow ourselves to stay so stressed over insignificant situations?
- Go to the zoo before it gets too hot! Does watching animals lift your spirits too? Spend some time meandering through a zoo while the temperatures are still temperate and before school gets out for the Summer. Maybe there will be some cute cubs or baby elephants there too! Apparently, I have babies on my mind today.
- Theme park in the mild temperatures! A trip to a theme park can be amazing or miserable – and the deciding factor for me is temperature! There’s nothing fun about sweat dripping down your back at 10:00am, but mildly perspiring at 2:00pm is acceptable. ~smile~ If you can, go on a weekday. Shorter lines and springtime temperatures!!! Save the summer months for the beach! That’s my plan!
- Spend at least 30 minutes a day enjoying the great outdoors! This is a commitment I need to make, inclement weather excluding. Lately, I’ve become more of an outdoor person than I’ve ever been in the past. I think working from home has a lot to do with my sudden need to escape the four walls. I get annoyed with myself when I allow a beautiful day to pass me by! Enjoy the season with your sweetheart. If you live in different areas, have an outdoor Skype or Facetime date. Bond with the great outdoors and choose to actively enjoy the beauty of springtime while it’s still here!
Let’s thank God for this spectacular season, and that springtime always follows the harsh, cold winter. He makes all things new!
How will you and your sweetie enjoy Spring this year?